Thursday, May 3, 2012

LinkedIn for Consultants: Mind Your Manners

Michael Zipursky 

Not a day goes by that I don’t get an invitation from someone around the world to connect with them on LinkedIn.

Right now I have 39 invitations…!


Of the all the connection requests I receive, I only accept maybe 10% of them.
Why, you ask? It’s not because I’m unfriendly nor is it because I don’t like to make new connections. On the contrary.

It’s because 90% of the invitations I get are non-personal. Here’s a typical one I just received…
"I’d like to add you to my professional network. - Ross”
I don’t know Ross from Rocky. Who is he? Why does he want to connect? Why should I connect with him?

If Ross can’t take 30 seconds to personalize his message to me there’s no way I’m going to take even 5 seconds to look at his invitation. I’m simply going to delete or ignore it and move on with my day.

Just because YOU ARE ABLE to connect with someone through this technology doesn’t mean you should take it for granted.

You wouldn’t just walk up to someone without introducing yourself and say “Hey, let’s connect!” would you? Of course not.

You’d walk up and say something like:

“Hi I’m Ross, a consultant from Brisbane that works with doctors. I really like the work you’re doing Michael and would like to learn more, blah blah….”

Come on people! It’s time to get professional!


LinkedIn is a great tool for business, use it properly.

I’ve said this many times before, one of the easiest ways to stand out in the marketplace is to be a real professional. Because so many other “pros” handle themselves and their communications like young school kids.

BTW, if you want to connect with me on LinkedIn, if you take the time to make it personal I’ll be more than happy to connect with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment